How you can earn revenue with the Shopify Partner Program
Refer a Shopify customer
You will also earn a 20% revenue share on Shopify plan transaction fees. If your client's Shopify store is using a third-party payment provider, then Shopify plan transaction fees will apply. If your client's Shopify store is using Shopify Payments, then all Shopify plan transaction fees will be waived.
We calculate your revenue share based on invoices paid by your client. After that client has paid their Shopify subscription invoice, you'll see your revenue tally start to grow.
Refer a Shopify Plus customer
For each customer you refer or upgrade to Shopify Plus, you’ll earn 10% of the monthly minimum platform fees paid by the customer for Shopify Plus.3 After you refer four Shopify Plus stores within a calendar year, you will receive an increased revenue share of 20% for the fifth and all subsequent Shopify Plus stores referred that year.
The revenue share percentage you are entitled to when you refer a particular Shopify Plus customer will apply for as long as they remain on Shopify Plus. For example, the revenue share for your first four Shopify Plus customers shall remain at 10% for as long as those customers remain on Shopify Plus, and the revenue share for the fifth and any additional Shopify Plus customers brought on in the same calendar year shall remain at 20% for as long as those customers remain on Shopify Plus.
To be entitled to receive the 20% revenue share for new customer referrals, you must bring on a minimum of four additional Shopify Plus customers each calendar year. If you fail to refer four or more additional Shopify Plus customers by the end of the following calendar year, then you will return to the 10% revenue share level. If you refer four or more Shopify Plus customers later that year, however, then you will be bumped back up to the 20% revenue share.
For any Shopify Plus customers you referred who signed up for Shopify Plus prior to February 1, 2017, you will continue to receive your revenue share calculated on their monthly subscription fees, until such time that the customer moves onto the new Shopify Plus pricing. After the customer moves onto the new Shopify Plus pricing, your revenue share will be calculated on the customer’s monthly minimum platform fee.
Sell an App on the Shopify App Store
You’ll earn a revenue share of 80% of the one-time price or recurring subscription fees for each app that you sell on the Shopify App Store.
Sell a theme on the Shopify Theme Store
You have two options for revenue share when you sell a theme on the Shopify Theme Store:
1. Collect 70% of each theme sale. If this option is selected, then you will be responsible for all bug fixes, as well as answering any customer questions about your theme. You may also sell your theme through a personal channel (for example, a company website), but not on open marketplaces.
2. Collect 50% of each theme sale.4 If this option is selected, then you will be responsible for all bug fixes, but Shopify will help answer any support questions about your theme. You may not sell your theme through any other channels.
1. Applies to all Shopify plans except Shopify Plus.
2. If the customer you referred gets upgraded to Shopify Plus without your involvement, then your monthly referral payments will stop and you will receive a one-time payout equal to the minimum platform fee for that customer’s first month on Shopify Plus.
3. If you upgrade an existing Shopify customer affiliated with another partner to Plus, then you will receive a one-time payout equal to the minimum platform fee for that customer’s first month on Shopify Plus.
4. Option 2 is permitted on a case-by-case basis. Shopify Partners may be required to select Option 1 should the theme review team feel it is the best option.