How you can earn revenue with the Shopify Partner Program
Refer a Shopify store
You will also earn a 20% revenue share on Shopify plan transaction fees. If your client's Shopify store is using a third-party payment gateway, Shopify plan transaction fees will apply. If your client's Shopify store is using Shopify Payments, all Shopify plan transaction fees will be waived.
We calculate your revenue share based on invoices paid by your client. Once that client has paid their Shopify subscription invoice, you'll see your revenue tally start to grow.
Refer a Shopify Plus store
For each customer you refer or upgrade to Shopify Plus, you’ll earn 10% of their monthly Shopify Plus plan subscription fee.3 After you refer four Shopify Plus stores within a calendar year, you will receive an increased revenue share of 20% for the fifth and all subsequent Shopify Plus stores referred that year.
The revenue share percentage you are entitled to when you refer a particular Shopify Plus Store will apply for as long as they remain on Shopify Plus. For example, the revenue share for your first four Shopify Plus stores shall remain at 10% for the life of those Shopify Plus stores, and the revenue share for the fifth and any additional Shopify Plus stores brought on in the same calendar year shall remain at 20% for the life of those Shopify Plus stores.
To keep receiving the 20% revenue share, you must bring on a minimum of four additional Plus contracts each calendar year. If you fail to refer four or more additional Shopify Plus stores by the end of the following calendar year, you will return to the 10% revenue share level. If you refer four or more Shopify Plus stores later that year, however, you will be bumped back up to the 20% revenue share.
Any Shopify Plus stores you referred in 2016 prior to the introduction of our updated referral rates will count towards your Shopify Plus store totals for 2016.
Sell an App on the Shopify App Store
You’ll earn a revenue share of 80% of the one-time price or recurring subscription fees for each app that you sell on the Shopify App Store.
Sell a theme on the Shopify Theme Store
You have two options for revenue share when you sell a theme on the Shopify Theme Store:
1. Collect 70% of each theme sale If you select this option, you will be responsible for all bug fixes, as well as answering any customer questions about your theme. You may also sell your theme through a personal channel (for example, a company website), but not on open marketplaces.
2. Collect 50% of each theme sale4 If you select this option, you will be responsible for all bug fixes, but Shopify will help answer any support questions about your theme. You may not sell your theme through any other channels.
1. Applies to all Shopify plans except Shopify Plus.
2. If the store you referred gets upgraded to Shopify Plus without your involvement, your monthly referral payments will stop and you will receive a one-time payout equal to the subscription fee for that store’s first month on Shopify Plus.
3. If you upgrade a store affiliated with another partner, you will receive a one-time payout equal to the subscription fee for that store’s first month on Shopify Plus.
4. The 50/50 split option is permitted on a case-by-case basis. Shopify Partners may be asked to select the 70/30 option should the theme review team feel it is the best option.