What products you're going to sell and what your store looks like are two of the most important choices you'll make for your store. Follow these tutorials to add your first product, try a few different themes to see which one looks best, and then set up a domain for your store.
Add your first product
From your Shopify admin, click Products to go to the Products page.
From the Products page, click Add product.
Enter a title for your product, along with additional details. Product details change the way your products display to customers. They also make it easier for you to organize your products, and they help customers to find what you are selling. In addition to product titles, some product details you might want to enter include product descriptions, images, prices, shipping details, weight, and more.
Click Save product.
Choose a theme
To help you get started, the Themes page of your admin has a default theme set up when you open an account with Shopify. If you want to customize a different theme for your online store, then you will need to add one to your admin.
To add a theme for your online store:
- You can add a free theme from within the admin.
- You can buy a paid theme from the Shopify Theme Store. Although paid themes need to be purchased before you can publish them to your online store, you can try a paid theme before buying.
Add a free theme from the admin
Free themes are developed by Shopify. Help with customizations for free themes is supported by Shopify.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes.
- In the Free themes section near the bottom of the page, click Explore free themes. A window that shows all of the free themes will appear.
- Click any theme to read about its features and to preview the available theme styles.
- Click the Add button for the theme. The theme will be added to the Themes page of your admin.
Add a theme from the Theme Store
Paid themes are developed by third-party designers. Help with customizations for third-party themes is provided by the theme designer.
- Visit the Shopify Theme Store and choose a theme. If you're still in your free trial period, then choose a free theme to avoid paying any charges.
- If you've chosen a free theme, then click Add theme or Start with this theme. If you've chosen a paid theme, then click Buy theme to buy the theme. Paid themes are non-refundable. To be sure that it suits your needs, you can try a paid theme before you buy it.
- For paid themes, click Approve charge to approve the payment. The theme will be added to the Themes page of your admin.
Try a paid theme in your store
You can try a paid theme to see how it looks with your products, brand colors, and style, before you commit to buy the theme. While you preview a theme, you can make customizations by using the theme editor. Any changes you make will be saved when you purchase the theme. You can preview up to 19 paid themes, which allows you to compare different themes before buying.
- Visit the Shopify Theme Store and choose a paid theme.
- Click Try theme. A preview of the theme will load for your online store. In the toolbar at the bottom of the page, there are three buttons: Close preview, Buy theme, and Customize theme.
- Do one of the following:
- To stop previewing the theme, click Close preview.
- To purchase the theme, click Buy theme.
- To modify the theme settings using the theme editor, click Customize theme.
Even if you choose not to buy it, the paid theme will be added to the Themes page of your admin. Paid themes that you are trying will have a Theme trial label.
Set up a domain for your store
Your store's domain is the URL, or the website address, where your customers go to find your online store. You can either buy a new domain for your store or transfer an existing one.
Buy a new domain from Shopify
- Purchase your domain through Shopify.
- Enable auto-renewal so that your domain registration doesn't expire by mistake.
- Set your Shopify domain as your primary domain so it becomes the domain that your customers see in their browser, in search results, and on social media.
Set up email forwarding so that your customers can email you at your
- Send yourself a couple of test emails to make sure that you can receive customer inquiries.
Buy a new domain from a third-party provider
- Purchase your custom domain from a third-party provider.
- Follow the instructions for custom domains to set up your root domain and subdomains.
- Set up your primary domain so it becomes the domain that your customers see in their browser, in search results, and on social media.
- Set up email hosting so your customers can email you at your custom domain email address.
Transfer an existing domain
If you want to transfer an existing domain to use with your Shopify store, then follow these steps.
After you add your first products, choose a theme, and set up a domain, it's time to continue setting up your store.