Automatically generating content in the theme editor
Through Shopify Magic, you can use Artificial Intelligence (AI) to generate suggestions for content in your theme editor based on details that you provide, such as headings and titles. Before you generate automatic text for your theme, review Tips for using Shopify Magic text generation.
On this page
Support for automatically generated product descriptions is currently available in the following languages:
- Portuguese (Brazilian)
- Chinese (Simplified)
By default, American English is the dialect used for English suggestions. The language data that the AI uses is largely from North American sources, so generated content might contain vocabulary and expressions that are local to that region. You can change any part of the content suggestions to match what your customers would expect.
The language that's used to generate your output suggestions is determined by the default language for your storefront. If your default storefront language isn't one of the supported languages, then this feature isn't available in your admin. To use this feature, update your language settings to a supported language.
Although the list of supported languages are the languages that have been verified and tested, the text generation might work for additional languages to differing degrees of quality. If you want to try generating output in your preferred language, then generate the English output, and then use the Translate and Adapt app to translate the generated output to your preferred language.
Generate content for your online store
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online store > Themes.
- Next to the theme that you want to edit, click Customize.
- Select a text element in your theme, such as an image banner heading.
- In the text box, click the Shopify Magic icon in the toolbar.
- Enter some keywords to indicate the type of content that you want to be generated, such as
announcement. The more details that you add, the more relevant the suggested content is.
- Optional: Select a tone for the generated text. You can select one of the predefined tones or add a custom tone. Learn more about choosing a tone for your theme text.
- Click Generate text.
- Optional: To refresh the suggested text and get a new version, do any of the following:
- To get new suggestions with the same settings, click Try again.
- To change the tone of the suggested text, select a new tone option, and then click Try again.
- Optional: To view different versions that you’ve generated, use the arrows below the generated text to move forward and backward through the versions.
- Click the suggested content that you want to keep.
- Optional: Edit the content to match your store tone and brand.
- After you complete your edits, click Save.
Improving the theme content suggestions that you receive
The content that you create needs to communicate the benefits of your products in a non-generic way that reflects your store’s brand. When you automatically generate content, you get better results if you include more details, and choose a tone that matches your business.
To improve results, consider adding the following types of information:
- Information about the customer: Often, the best content reflects the needs and interests of your target customer. Include some keywords about who the products would be great for, such as their demographic (young parents) or their values (eco-conscious, outdoorsy). This information is helpful for generating product benefits and determining the type of vocabulary that appears in your results.
- Specific details about materials, production method, fit, intended use: Any product specifications you provide can be turned into paragraphs in your generated content.
Important brand keywords or terminology: While the results include different phrasing for the information you provide, special words or phrases are often kept, such as brand names or unique descriptive words. For example, if you describe your mint lip balm as
mint-tasticin the keywords, then the generated suggestions will often include that term.
- Other details: You can use the details and images that you’ve added to your theme to give you ideas about what keywords to provide, such as product details like vendor, category, or collection names.