Adding users in Organization Settings
Add staff to your organization by sending them an invitation.
On this page
Giving organization and store permissions to staff
You have the option of managing organization accesses and store permissions for your staff by assigning roles to them. If you want to use roles, then verify that the required roles have been created before you add users.
If you give staff access to a store by using Organization Settings, then they're are added to that store. However, until they accept their invitation to create an account, these staff members are displayed as pending state, and can't access the store's Shopify admin.
Considerations for two-step authentication
By default, required two-step authentication is recommended for new staff accounts. In this case, staff are prompted to set up two-step authentication when they log in. You have the option to deactivate two-step authentication when you add staff.
You can also change two-step authentication so that it isn't required for an existing staff member. Changing the two-step authentication setting from
not required to
required logs the staff member out of Shopify. Before change staff's authentication requirements, verify that they aren't in the middle of a task.
After you remove the two-step authentication requirement for existing staff, their authentication settings aren't updated automatically. In this case, the staff member needs to change the security settings for their own account. Until the staff member deactivates two-step authentication in their own security settings, they're still prompted to complete the two-step authentication setup for any store where they're staff, whether or not the store is in your organization.
Give staff Organization Settings permissions
- From your Shopify admin, click Settings.
- In the Organization section, click Users.
- Click Add users.
- Enter the email addresses of the staff who you want to add.
- In the Choose access type section, do either of the following:
- To give permissions using roles, click Assign a role, and then select a role.
- To give permissions without using a role, select Select custom permissions, and then add organization-level permissions and store-level permissions.
- Optional: In the Two-step authentication settings section, select Two-step authentication is not required to change two-step authentication to not required.
- Click Send invite.
Your new staff is now displayed in the users list with Pending status. After the users accept your invitation, their status changes to Active.