PayPal Seller Protection
If your customers use PayPal as a payment method, then you might be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. Seller Protection protects you from chargebacks, reversals, and claims for the full amount on eligible payments due to an unauthorized transaction or an item not received. Orders purchased through PayPal will have one of following three Seller Protection ratings:
- Eligible: the order is protected by PayPal's Seller Protection for unauthorized payments and items not received.
- Partially eligible: the order is protected by Seller Protection for item not received.
- Ineligible: the order is not protected by Seller Protection.
To be eligible for Seller Protection you need to meet all the basic requirements, and also the additional requirements for items not received and unauthorized transactions.
If you edit an order after it's been deemed Eligible for PayPal Seller Protection, then the order is evaluated again. In some cases, the changes that you make can cause an order's rating to change to Partially eligible.
- The item must be a physical good that can be shipped.
- The item must be shipped to the same address that appears on the transaction and order pages under Shipping address.
- You must respond to Paypal's request for documentation or other information promptly.
- Your store must be based in the United States.
Additional requirements for item not received
- The payment must be rated as Eligible or Partially eligible on the transaction page for chargebacks.
- You must provide proof of delivery.
Additional requirements for unauthorized transactions
- The payment must be rated as Eligible on the transaction page.
- You must provide proof of shipment or delivery for the item.
Items not covered by PayPal Seller Protection
PayPal provides a detailed list of items and transactions that aren't covered by Seller Protection for the United States. If you're outside the United States, then check your locations's PayPal User Agreement for a list of items that aren't covered by Seller Protection.