Switching from Fraud Protect to Shopify Protect
On this page, you can explore how to use Shopify Protect instead of Fraud Protect to protect yourself against fraudulent and unrecognized chargeback reasons in transactions that use Shop Pay.
On this page
Switch from Fraud Protect to Shopify Protect
If Fraud Protect is already activated for your store and you want to switch to Shopify Protect, then you have two options:
- Continue using Fraud Protect: If you want to continue using Fraud Protect, then you don't need to take any action. Your orders on Shopify Payments will continue to be protected from fraudulent chargebacks, with a fee applied to protected orders.
- Switch to Shopify Protect: If you prefer to use Shopify Protect, then you need to deactivate Fraud Protect. However, it's important to note that after you deactivate Fraud Protect, it cannot be reactivated. By deactivating Fraud Protect, your Shopify Payments are no longer protected. However, orders on Shop Pay are protected from fraudulent chargebacks for free.
Considerations before you deactivate Fraud Protect
It's important to note that you can't use both Shopify Protect and Fraud Protect simultaneously. You have the option to either continue using Fraud Protect or deactivate it and switch to Shopify Protect.
Additionally, all orders that were protected while Fraud Protect was active will continue to be protected even after deactivation. You will still have the Protection status filter on your Orders page to help you identify orders that were protected during the time when Fraud Protect was active.
Deactivate Fraud Protect
- Review the implications of deactivating Fraud Protect.
- Confirm that Shop Pay is activated for your store.
- From your Shopify admin, click Settings.
- Click Payment providers.
- Next to Fraud Protect for Shopify Payments, click Deactivate Fraud Protect.
- Click Confirm deactivation.
Protect an order with Shopify Protect
To protect an order with Shopify Protect, you need to follow the steps outlined in the protecting an order with Shopify Protect documentation.