Setting up try before you buy
After you set up try before you buy (TBYB) as a purchase option, your customers can make TBYB purchases, trial the product, and pay at a predetermined, later date. To see information about TBYB, you must be using a TBYB buy app from the Shopify App Store. If you have a TBYB app installed, then the relevant purchase option information becomes available in the following areas of your Shopify admin:
On this page
Requirements and restrictions
To use TBYB on your store, review the following requirements and restrictions:
- TBYB orders can only accept debit or credit cards that are processed through Shopify Payments as a payment gateway.
- TBYB isn't supported on stores with customized checkouts.
- Customers can't use accelerated checkouts such as Shop Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Meta Pay to purchase TBYB products.
- Customers can't use local payment methods such as Klarna, mollie iDEAL, and Sofort to purchase TBYB products.
- Local delivery and pick up in store aren't supported as delivery options for TBYB orders.
- TBYB products are only supported on the Online Store and Custom Storefront sales channels.
- Buy X get Y discounts aren't supported by TBYB.
- You cannot combine different purchase options with one product (ie a customer cannot try before you buy a subscription).
- You must give your customers key information about your try before you buy at the time of purchase, including information about when they’ll be charged if they don’t return the item.
Using TBYB in the Shopify admin
If you have completed the setup in your TBYB app, then review the following sections for any additional steps that are relevant to your business.
If a product or any of its variants have the TBYB purchase option set up, then the TBYB app displays TBYB details on the product page's product description.
You can choose to limit a product to only having the purchase option available, or you can enable both the purchase option, and one-time purchase.
- From your Shopify admin, click Products.
- Click the product that you want to manage the purchase option of.
- Do one of the following:
- To sell the product as a purchase option only, select Only show this product with these purchase options.
- To sell the product as one-time purchases as well as purchase options, deselect Only show this product with these purchase options.
Customer checkout experience
During checkout, TBYB apps show relevant purchase option information to the customer. For example, with TBYB you can tell customers how long the trial period lasts in the order summary.
During the Payment step of the checkout, your customer needs to confirm that they understand that they are purchasing a product with a purchase option. They can't complete their purchase without agreeing to this.