Assign inventory to a location (Shopify admin)
You can change the list of locations that stock a product and adjust the inventory levels of the product at each location, with the following constraints:
- All products need to be stocked at a minimum of one location.
- You can’t unstock products from locations that have either unfulfilled orders or transfers that require inventory of that product.
On this page
Change the list of locations that stock a product
If you stock products at more than one store location, then you can select the locations where you stock a product or variant from its detail page. When you remove a location from the list of locations that stock a product, the inventory quantity at that location is deleted.
If you enable Track quantity for a product, then you can track the product quantity for each location where the product is stocked.
- Go to Products and open the product.
- If the product has variants, then select a variant.
- Make sure that Multiple locations is selected in the Inventory will be stocked at list.
- In the Inventory section, click Edit locations.
Check the locations that stock the product, and uncheck the locations that don’t stock the product.
Stock products at locations by using the bulk editor
You can change the locations that stock a product by using the bulk editor on the Inventory page.
- Go to Products > Inventory.
- Select the location that stocks the products you want to change. Products that are not stocked at a location don't show up in that location's inventory list.
- Check the product variants that you want to change.
- Click Bulk edit.
- In the bulk editor, click Columns and add fields for the locations where you want to stock the products.
- Update the inventory quantities for each product variant at the relevant locations.
- Click Save.
Learn more about bulk editing inventory.