Shopify Shipping with DHL
If you're shipping from a location in the United States, then you can buy Shopify Shipping labels from DHL and ship your packages to international addresses.
The shipping rates that you are charged are based on Shopify's account with DHL.
Considerations for shipping packages with DHL
Review the following considerations when using Shopify Shipping with DHL Express:
- DHL Express is limited to shipping from the continental United States only. This excludes United States territories such as Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Alaska.
- If your delivery destination is a remote area, then DHL might add a surcharge. Review if your destination post code is considered remote in DHL's Surcharges for Exceptional Activities.
- You can ship only to international addresses. You can't ship to an address in the United States.
Getting your products to DHL
You can drop off your products at a DHL Express drop-off location or schedule a pickup.
Schedule a DHL Express pickup
You can schedule a pickup at your preferred date, time, and address. Pickups from DHL Express are free. The cost of the pickup service is included when you purchase a label. Pickup times are based on the time zone of the pickup address.
You can schedule a pickup from 1 to 7 days in advance. Any pickup times are estimates and depend on traffic, weather, and pickup address. If you want to schedule multiple pickups, then you need to buy at least one DHL Express label.
From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.
To schedule a pickup, do either of the following:
- To schedule a pickup immediately after you purchase a shipping label, in the Package pickup section, click Schedule pickup.
- To schedule a pickup for an order that was fulfilled with DHL Express, open the order, click the
...icon, and then click Schedule pickup.
In the Pickup address section, select the pickup address or enter a custom address. Custom addresses aren't saved for future pickups.
In the Pickup details section, provide the following details:
- contact name and phone number
- pickup date and estimated pickup time
- package location, such as a reception or a front door
- any special instructions for the courier, such as an apartment number or a buzz code.
Review the pickup summary, and then click Schedule pickup.
You can view your scheduled pickups from the Orders page in your Shopify admin.
If a driver doesn't show up for your scheduled pickup, then call the shipping carrier at 1-800-CALL DHL (1-800-225-5345) with your pickup confirmation number. You can find your pickup confirmation number in the order's Timeline.
Cancel a pickup
You can cancel a scheduled pickup. If you try to cancel a pickup that is close to the scheduled time, then it might be too late and the driver still arrives at the schedule time.
From your Shopify admin, go to Orders.
Click View pickups.
Click Cancel pickup.
Click Cancel pickup again to confirm.
International rates with DHL
You can ship internationally with DHL Express Worldwide.
|Shipping Service||Delivery Timeline||Description|
|DHL Express Worldwide||2-5 business days||Ship time-sensitive international orders to 220 countries.|
Package requirements for DHL international shipments
The maximum values that DHL allows for international shipments are the following:
- maximum weight is 154 lb (70 kg)
- maximum length is 47.2 inches (120 cm)
- maximum width is 31.5 inches (80 cm)
- maximum height is 31.5 inches (80 cm)
For more information about package requirements, refer to the DHL website.
Included insurance coverage
DHL's liability is governed by a variety of regulations and conventions based on shipping method, shipment weight, and shipment value. Generally, DHL's liability coverage is the lesser of two values: the value of the shipment, or the weight of the product multiplied by an amount of Special Drawing Rights. This means that shipments with a high value but low weight typically don't receive much liability coverage. For example, a piece of jewelry valued at $1,000 USD might be eligible for only $50 in coverage.
To see what insurance coverage DHL provides for your shipments, refer to the liability section in DHL's Terms and Conditions. If you're in the United States and want to insure the full value of your shipment, then you can purchase shipping insurance through Shopify when buying the shipping label.
DHL Express labels and customs documents
You can reduce paper waste and speed up customs clearance by using Paperless Trade when you ship with DHL Express. If you're shipping to a supported country, then your customs documentation is automatically submitted electronically, and you need to print only the shipping label.
Destination countries and regions that support Paperless Trade are covered in DHL Express' Digital Customs Invoice FAQ. If you're shipping to a non-supported country or region, then you need to print the customs forms and attach them to your shipment.
All DHL Express international shipments, except those to Canada, have a signature required for delivery service included in the price.
Undelivered and unacceptable shipments
Shipments might be unacceptable or undelivered if they don't follow the terms and conditions outlined by DHL Express. There are several conditions that make a shipment unacceptable:
- customs declaration isn't made, or the shipment hasn't passed customs clearance
- shipment contains prohibited items
- shipping address is incorrect or not properly marked
- packaging is defective or inadequate
- receiver fails to pay duties and taxes owed on the package
- the declared product value on the customs form does not match with the transaction value, or with the transaction value of similar goods
DHL Express will contact your customer for more information if the tracking status is On hold. If they can't reach your customer, then they will contact you.
Getting support for DHL shipments
If you need help with your DHL shipment, such as rerouting a package or submitting a claim, you can contact Shopify Support.
Submitting a claim
If a shipment is lost or damaged, then email Shopify Shipping Support at firstname.lastname@example.org to track your package and file a claim.
You should submit your claim as soon as you discover that a package was lost or damaged. DHL must receive notice of a claim within 30 days after acceptance of the package. Shopify Shipping Support also needs time to process and direct your claim to DHL before the liability period expires.
Include the following information in your email:
- your .myshopify.com address
- the order number
- description of the damage
- the receiver's phone number
Requesting support for DHL shipments
If you are using DHL Express with Shopify Shipping and you need help, you can contact:
|Get help before you buy a label.||Shopify Support|
|Get assistance after buying a label, such as rerouting a package.||Shopify Support||Submit a claim.||Send an email to Shopify Shipping Support.
To learn more about submitting a claim for a DHL Express shipment, see Submit a claim.
|Dispute a shipping adjustment.||Shopify Support|
Some items are prohibited from being shipped using DHL Express:
- counterfeit goods
- live animals (for example, insects, pupae, or hatchlings)
- precious and semi-precious stones
- weapons and ammunition
- human remains or ashes
- items considered illegal in your intended destination (for example, ivory or narcotics)
Packages containing prohibited items aren't shipped. In this case, DHL Express contacts you and returns your item.
For more information on prohibited and banned items, consult DHL Express Terms and Conditions of Carriage.
Order free shipping supplies
You can order free shipping supplies by emailing DHL Express at
USShopifySupplies@dhl.com. This button opens a template email in your preferred email client: