Get subscription billing attempt data
In workflows that require subscription billing attempt data, you can use the Get subscription billing attempt data action to retrieve order information from your store.
The Get subscription billing attempt data action contains the following fields, which are used to build the query:
|Sort data by
|Required. The parameters by which the data returned by the search query is sorted.
|Maximum number of results
|Required. The maximum amount of results that can be returned by the search query that you select. You can return up to 100 at a time.
|Required. Choose from common queries or select Advanced to create your own.
This is an example query for getting subscription billing attempts that were created in the last three days:
created_at variable is a filter available on the subscription billing attempt query and can be used to select specific error message for subscription billing attempts.
When querying data, it's helpful to know:
List of available subscription billing attempt filters
- Queries must follow a certain syntax
- Query field names for all queries can be found in the developer docs for the QueryRoot object.
- Query field values are not always documented. In some cases, the values can be found by looking at the API docs. Alternatively, you can often find the field values in the URLs in the Admin when you filter. For example, to find some Order query values, filter the Orders page in the Admin, and then check the URL.
- You can run or test a query in your shop by using the Shopify GraphiQL app.
- Be mindful of what happens if your query fails. Often the API will return all results (instead of none).
All Get data actions return a list of anywhere from 0 and 100 resources. Depending your use case, you might want to use this data in various ways:
- If you need to handle each list item individually, such as to add a tag for each, then you can use the For each action.
- If you need to aggregate data, such as count how many results were returned, then you can use the Count or Sum actions.
- If you need output the list, such as send an email with all the items, then you can use returned data directly in susbsequent actions.
To access the returned data in steps that follow this action, use the variable named Get subscription billing attempt data, which is a list of subscription billing attempts. You can use this variable in both conditions and actions. For example, you can send the list of subscription billing attempts in a Send internal email action like this:
For example, a workflow is scheduled to run every Sunday at 9:00 am. The Get subscription billing attempt data action is used to collect data for subscription billing attempts created in the last week. If they have an error message, then email the billing attempts.