Creating stores in your Shopify organization admin
When you create a store, it's usually added right away. However, if the requested store exceeds your contract limits, then a trial store is created instead. A request is sent to Shopify Plus to add the additional store, and you'll be prompted to approve an extra fee. Within a few days, your request will be processed and your trial store will be upgraded. You'll be sent an email confirming the change.
Considerations for creating a new store
When you create a store in an organization, you become the new store's owner. To change a store's owner after it's been created, you need to use that store's Shopify admin.
During the process of creating a store, you're asked to provide a purpose for your new store. The purpose that you select might affect the billing or setup of your store, but won't restrict its features or capabilities. If you're not sure which option to choose, then contact Shopify Plus Support.
When you create a store, you can preinstall the following apps:
The apps are installed in your new store, but additional setup might be required. Refer to the documentation for each individual app to learn more.
Importing data from an existing store
When you create a store, you can import the following data from a store that already exists in your organization:
- store staff
Considerations for importing themes into a new store
When you import a theme into a new store, any references to files that are hard-coded in that theme continue to point to the files in the original (existing) store. If a file in the original store is deleted, then the link to that file will be broken in the theme in your new store. To prevent links from being broken, make sure that you import files when you import themes, and that you update any URLs in your theme so that they point to the files in your new store.
Considerations for importing store staff into a new store
Before you import store staff from an existing store, consider the following:
- Store staff members who have been imported inherit the same permissions that they have in the store that you import them from. If you need to change these permissions, then you can do so after the store is created.
- Only active, email-verified store staff members appear in the list of staff who can be imported.
- Store staff members who are not already part of the organization can be added to the organization after you create the store.
- Store staff members who are managed by user roles in the organization admin do not appear in the list of store staff to import. After the store is created, you can use the organization admin to add store access to the appropriate roles.
Create a new store
- From the Shopify organization admin, click Stores.
- Click Create store.
- In the Store type section, select the purpose of your new store.
- In the Store details section, enter a name and an URL. The URL that you choose can't be changed.
- Optional: Choose apps to preinstall on your new store.
- To import themes, do the following:
- In the Themes section, click Import themes.
- Check the themes that you want to import.
- Optional: From the Choose a theme to publish in your new store list, select the theme that you want to use for your store.
- Optional: If you don't want to import files, then uncheck Import all files from this store.
- Click Done.
- To import store staff, do the following:
- In the Users section, click Import users.
- Check the store staff members that you want to import.
- Click Done.
- Click Create Store.
You can now log in to the store and start adding details.
Configuring store-specific settings and information
To configure settings for a specific store, such as its payment providers or shipping settings, you need to use that store's Shopify admin.
To make any of the following changes, contact Shopify Plus Support:
- change a store from development to production
- change the billing store on your Shopify Plus contract
- deactivate or close a store
- downgrade your store's Shopify subscription plan