Set up notifications in Shopify Inbox
When a customer starts a conversation, or replies to an existing conversation on your online store or the Shop app, you can be notified of their message through any of the following types of notifications:
- Desktop notifications that display in your browser to notify you that you have a new message.
- Mobile notifications that display on the mobile devices that have the Shopify Inbox mobile app installed.
- Email notifications that are sent to email accounts of Shopify users that have access to Shopify Inbox.
You need to turn on desktop, mobile, and email notifications to receive real-time alerts for updates to conversations. To receive notifications, your Shopify account must have the required permissions to Shopify Inbox.
In Chrome and Firefox, desktop notifications for new Inbox messages display when your browser is open and you’re logged in to your Shopify account. After you log in, you need to open Shopify Inbox at least one time to view your messages. After you've logged in and opened the Shopify Inbox app, you can close the browser tab and notifications are sent until you close your browser. If you close your browser or log out of your Shopify account, then you might have to log in to Shopify Inbox again to receive desktop notifications.
If you're using another browser, such as Safari or Edge, then you have to be logged in to Shopify Inbox, and keep the browser tab open to receive desktop notifications.
When your store receives a message, an alert sounds, a visual indicator displays in any open Inbox browser tabs, and a desktop notification displays.
Turn on desktop notifications in Shopify Inbox
- Go to Shopify Inbox, and then log in to your store.
- To receive desktop notifications on your computer, click Allow when prompted by your browser to allow desktop notifications from Shopify Inbox. The browser prompt displays the first time you log into Shopify Inbox.
- Click Settings, and then click Notifications.
- In the Notification types section, verify that your desktop device is listed.
- In the Notification triggers section, check Push notifications (desktop and mobile) for each trigger that you want to receive notifications for.
- Click Save.
- Optional: Click the Send test notification button to send a test notification to your device.
Mobile notifications for new messages display when the Shopify Inbox mobile app is installed on your Android or iPhone mobile device. To receive notifications, you need to log in to the Shopify Inbox app with your Shopify account. If you also have the Shopify mobile app installed on your device, then logging out of either app will log you out of the other, and you'll stop receiving notifications.
Turn on mobile notifications
To have all the notification options, your Shopify Inbox mobile app version needs to be version 6.12.0 or higher.
- On your mobile device, open Shopify Inbox mobile app.
- Tap Your profile icon > Notifications.
- Verify that your mobile device is listed in the Notification types section.
- Verify that the Mobile and desktop option is turned on for the triggers that you want to receive notifications for.
- Tap Save.
- Optional: Tap Send test notification to send a test notification to your device.
Email notifications for new Inbox messages are sent to the email address associated with your Shopify account.
- Go to Shopify Inbox, and then log in to your store, if required.
- Click Settings and then click Notifications.
- Verify that your Shopify account email address is listed in the Notification types section.
- In the Notification triggers section,for the triggers that you want to receive notifications for, check Email notification.
- Click Save.
- Optional: Click the Send test notification button to send a test notification to your email.