If you want to try Shopify before committing to an active monthly plan, then you can sign up for a free trial. Your free trial begins when you first sign up, not when you start working on your store. When you open a store on a free trial, your store has either a storefront password or an inactive checkout by default. To let your customers add products to cart and buy your products, you can remove your storefront password or activate your checkout by choosing a paid plan. You won't lose any of the work you complete on your store during your free trial when you choose a paid plan. If you choose a paid plan during your free trial, then you aren't charged any subscription fees until the end of your free trial period.
You can set up your store during the free trial, but you need to choose a monthly plan to activate your checkout or remove your storefront password before you start selling your products or services. For more information, refer to preparing your store for launch. If you don't select a monthly plan at the end of your free trial, then your store is paused and you can't continue working on it until you choose a paid plan. If you don't choose a pricing plan during your free trial, then you don't need to take any action to cancel your Shopify account.
Sign up for a trial
Get the most out of your free trial
Shopify offers some great features to help you create and manage your store. You can use the free trial period as a way to learn how these features can help you sell your products and build your business.
To get the most out of your free trial:
- Add a few products and product details to make sure they display correctly on your online store.
- Create a collection to organize your products.
- Set up Shopify Payments or check that the third-party payment provider that you want to use is supported by Shopify.
- Familiarize yourself with the Settings page in your Shopify admin to learn how to configure taxes, shipping, and other sales channels.
- Visit the Shopify Theme Store and the Shopify App Store to get an idea of what you might want your store to look like and to find any apps to expand on what you can do with your store.
If you decide to sign up for a plan during your free trial, then you can do so without losing any of the work that you’ve put into your store.