Checkout methods for the Facebook channel
If you have the Facebook channel installed in your store, then you can choose to have customers check out on your Shopify store or directly on Facebook and Instagram using Checkout on Instagram. To learn if you are eligible for Checkout on Instagram, refer to the Requirements for selling with Checkout on Instagram. To learn how to set up Checkout on Instagram, refer to Setting up Checkout on Instagram.
Switching between checkout methods affects how customers check out on Facebook and Instagram. Each checkout method has unique features which are outlined on this page to help you decide which checkout method is best for your store.
Check out on Facebook or Instagram
Review the following considerations for having your customers check out directly on Facebook and Instagram:
- If a customer is shopping on your store's Facebook page or Instagram account, then they can select Buy now to purchase products directly on Facebook or Instagram.
- The customer's payment and shipping details are saved securely for future purchases.
- Instagram users can tag your products in their own posts, which lets other customers purchase the product directly from those posts.
- Facebook and Instagram can send push notifications, countdowns, and product stickers to help drive sales of your next product release.
- Facebook and Instagram can enable ad retargeting at all points of your customer's journey.
- Facebook charges a selling fee of 5% per shipment, or a flat fee of $0.40 USD for shipments of $8 USD or less. Learn more about Facebook's selling fees.
- There are no Shopify transaction fees associated with this checkout method.
- If you want to sell directly on Facebook and Instagram, then you need to comply with Facebook's Commerce eligibility requirements. This includes requirements such as a minimum return window of 30 days.
- Carrier-calculated shipping rates aren't available when customers check out on Facebook or Instagram.
- Discounts can't be applied to sales made through checking out on Facebook or Instagram.
- Subscriptions are unavailable when a customer checks out on Facebook or Instagram.
- The only customer information that you receive from the order is the customer’s name, email address, and shipping address. Customer email addresses collected through checking out on Facebook and Instagram can only be used for marketing purposes if the customer opts in.
Check out from your Shopify store
Review the following considerations for having your customers check out from your Shopify store:
- If a customer is shopping on your store's Facebook page or Instagram account, then they can select View on website to be redirected to your Shopify store where they can complete their purchase.
- You can customize your customer's online store checkout experience. These customizations include allowing discounts and subscriptions, custom branding and messaging, and preorder options.
- You can use enhanced shipping options, such as flat shipping rates and carrier calculated shipping rates.
- There are lower selling fees. Selling fees are based on your Shopify store's plan.
- Customers shopping directly from your online store means that your store gets more traffic, and can lead to larger purchases.