Hiring a Shopify expert to create 3D models
Shopify experts are experienced, Shopify-vetted industry professionals who have extensive knowledge about creating and updating Shopify stores. You can hire Shopify experts to help you with creating 3D models for your online store. To learn more about Shopify experts, see Hiring a Shopify expert.
Hire a Shopify expert
You can hire a Shopify expert to help you to make 3D models of your products. In the Shopify Experts Marketplace, browse experts who offer the 3D model creation service, select an expert, and contact them.
When you contact an expert, you're not committing to hire a Shopify expert. This step only submits a request the expert who then can review your request. If an expert decides to work with you, then they'll contact you with more information about their fees and how you can start working together.
If you haven't provided product photos and product dimensions already as part of your job request, then the expert requests them from you. Follow the specifications below when taking photos and measurements.
3D models are created using photos. To create the 3D model, the Shopify Expert needs photos of your products from multiple angles:
When taking photos of your product, follow these guidelines:
- Make sure that your product is well lit.
- Make sure that your whole product is in focus.
- If possible, don't use a cellphone camera. For large products like furniture, use a camera with a 50 mm lens. For small to medium size products, use a 70 mm or 100 mm lens.
- Take extra photos of any unique details or textures.
- Give the photo files clear titles like
blue vase - top, or
blue vase - leftand store them in a clearly labelled folder.
To create accurate 3D models, the Shopify Expert needs detailed measurements of your product. When providing measurements, follow these guidelines:
- Describe each dimension of your product in clear, simple terms.
- Provide the measurements in
- Include a diagram to show which dimensions the measurements correspond to.
- If you have technical drawings or CAD files associated with your product, include those as well.
Example of getting 3D models made
Naomi is selling this blue vase:
She uses the Shopify Experts Marketplace to find a Shopify expert to create a 3D model of the vase. Naomi provides the expert with six high-quality photos taken with a camera with a 70 mm lens:
Naomi gives the expert a measurement diagram with corresponding product dimensions in millimeters:
- The height of the vase (1) is ____mm
- The top of the vase to the bottom of the neck (2) is ____mm
- The bottom of the neck to the bottom of the vase (3) is ____mm
- The diameter of the mouth of the vase (4) is ____mm
- The width of the lip of the mouth (5) is ____mm
- The diameter of the bottom of the neck (6) is ____mm
- There are 8 hexagonal faces on the vase
- The height of the hexagonal faces (8) are ____mm
- The width of the hexagonal faces (9) are ____mm
- The diameter of the widest part of the vase (10) is ____mm
- The diameter of the bottom of the vase (11) is ____mm
- The diameter of the foam feet are ____mm
The Shopify expert uses these photos and dimensions to create a 3D model of the blue vase. The expert sends Naomi a
GLB file for her to add to her online store.
Check the quality of your 3D models
When a Shopify expert provides you with a 3D model, you should check that you're happy with its quality. The expert should provide you with instructions for previewing the model.
Check the model from all angles. You can use the glTF Viewer to preview your 3D models. While reviewing your model, consider the following questions:
- Does the model's shape match the product reference photos that you provided to the expert?
- Are all parts of the model proportional to the rest?
- If you're able to preview the model in augmented reality, then does the scale of the model look correct compared to the rest of the scene?
- Does the model look like it's made from the same materials as the product?
- Do the model's materials look stretched, blurry, or distorted?
- Are there details like scuffs or scratches to make the model's materials seem more realistic?
- If parts of the product are transparent, reflective, or give off light, then do they look right?
- Do the edges all look realistic? Are any of them too sharp and need to be softened?
- If there are any decorative details, such as a logo or some text, then are they easy to see?
- Are there any gaps or holes where there shouldn't be any?
The Shopify expert should build the 3D model according to certain standards. To learn more about those standards so that you can better review a model, see Creating 3D models for merchants.
If you think that the quality of the model isn't good enough, then contact the Shopify expert and explain what is wrong with it.