Star Micronics TSP143IIIBI Bluetooth wireless receipt printer
On this page
- Where to buy the Bluetooth wireless receipt printer
- Buy paper for your Bluetooth wireless receipt printer
- Plug in your Bluetooth printer
- Pair and connect the Bluetooth wireless receipt printer with your device
- Disable auto-connect
- Activate auto-connect
- After you've connected the Bluetooth wireless receipt printer with your device
- Unpair your device and receipt printer
- Return your receipt printer to its factory settings
- Limitations when using the Star Micronics TSP100IIIBI Bluetooth wireless receipt printer
- Troubleshoot the Star Micronics TSP143IIIBI
To use this hardware with your Shopify store, you need to meet the following requirements:
- the all-new Shopify POS
- a compatible iPad that is running iOS 13 or higher, an iPhone that is running iOS 13 or higher, or a compatible Android device that is running version 7.0 (Nougat) or higher
Where to buy the Bluetooth wireless receipt printer
The Star Micronics TSP143IIIBI Bluetooth wireless receipt printer is available from the Shopify Hardware Store in supported countries.
Buy paper for your Bluetooth wireless receipt printer
Any thermal paper rolls works with this printer, if the paper meets the following specifications:
|Thickness||Between 0.053 mm and 0.085 mm|
|Roll diameter||Up to 83 mm|
For an explanation of how to load the receipt printer, refer to the guide in the manufacturer's hardware manual.
Plug in your Bluetooth printer
Before you can use your Bluetooth printer, you need to connect it to a power supply.
- Plug one end of the power cable into the back of your receipt printer.
- Plug the other end of the cable into a power outlet.
- Turn the printer on. The Ready indicator turns a solid blue. The ERROR indicator blinks red when no paper is loaded.
If paper is loaded, then a diagnostic report prints.
After this, you're ready to pair the printer with your device.
Pair and connect the Bluetooth wireless receipt printer with your device
Pairing identifies devices to each other and establishes a bond between them. This enables the paired devices to connect in the future without repeating authentication checks.
The Star Micronics TSP143IIIBI Bluetooth wireless receipt printer (model number TSP143IIIBI) comes with auto-connect enabled. This means that after you've paired your printer with your device, the Bluetooth connection is established automatically every time the printer is switched on and in range of your device.
- In the Shopify POS app, tap ≡ > Connectivity > Set up hardware.
- Tap Receipt printer > Star Micronics > Bluetooth.
- Turn on the printer and load the receipt paper.
- Turn on pairing mode.
- Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until the lights beside the PAIR button flash green.
- In the Shopify POS app, select the printer from the list.
By default, the TSP100IIIBI Bluetooth receipt printer is shipped with auto-connect enabled. This means that a paired printer connects automatically whenever it's turned on and within range of the device that it has been paired with.
If you don't want your paired printer to connect automatically every time you switch it on, then you need to disable auto-connect. One reason for disabling auto-connect is if you use multiple devices with a single printer.
The receipt printer no longer connects automatically to the device. From now on, every time you switch on the printer or restart the device, you need to return to the device's Bluetooth settings (not the Shopify POS app settings) and select the printer.
To activate the receipt printer's auto-connect function, repeat the steps in deactivate auto-connect but activate Auto-connect in step 6.
After you've connected the Bluetooth wireless receipt printer with your device
After connecting your printer, don't forget to:
- Set it as the default printer (optional)
- Print a test receipt
- Test the connection to the cash drawer (if applicable)
Unpair your device and receipt printer
You can unpair your device and receipt printer.
Return your receipt printer to its factory settings
You can return your receipt printer to its factory settings.
- Unpair your device and receipt printer.
- With the printer turned off, find the reset button located on the back of the printer, and then use a pen to press and hold down the button.
- While holding down the reset button, turn on the printer. When the ERROR light flashes, release the button.
- Wait until the ERROR light stops flashing. To complete the reset, turn off the printer a second time, wait 5 seconds, and then turn on the printer again.
The printer is now fully reset and ready to be paired with your device.
If you're using model number TSP143IIIBI, then resetting leaves auto-connect activated, although you do need to pair your devices again.
Limitations when using the Star Micronics TSP100IIIBI Bluetooth wireless receipt printer
Shopify POS has an exclusive, 1-to-1 relationship with the Star Micronics TSP100IIIBI Bluetooth wireless receipt printer, which means the following:
You can't connect multiple devices to the same printer.
Shopify POS won't work with multiple printers at the same time.
Troubleshoot the Star Micronics TSP143IIIBI
If you have trouble using the Star Micronics TSP143IIIBI, then try these troubleshooting steps.
- Check that you have these basic requirements:
- Your Shopify POS app is up to date.
- Your device's operating system is up to date.
- Your device has Bluetooth activated.
- Check that printer paper is correctly installed and that the status indicator light is a solid blue color.
- Unpair your device and receipt printer.
- Return your receipt printer to its factory settings.
- Pair your device with the receipt printer.
- Restart the printer.
- Open the device's Settings.
- Tap the Bluetooth menu option and confirm that the Star Micronics printer shows as Not connected.
- Tap the printer to connect to it.
- When the printer shows as Connected, restart it again. When the printer turns on, it should show briefly as Not connected, and then as Connected.
- If the printer doesn't connect automatically when you restart it for the second time, then you need to enable auto-connect.
- Test the printer by printing a test receipt.
If you still have trouble using the receipt printer after trying these steps, then contact Shopify Support.