Exchange or refund an order
Using the Shopify POS app, you can complete returns and issue refunds, or exchange a returned item for a new item. If there's a difference in price between the two items, then you can collect or pay out the difference during the exchange.
Refunded items are added to the inventory of your Shopify POS app's assigned location.
Processing an exchange or refund with a Shopify POS Pro subscription
If your location has a Shopify POS Pro subscription, then you can use the following steps to process your customer's exchange or refund.
- From the Shopify POS app, tap
≡, and then tap Orders.
- Tap the order for which you want to create an exchange or return.
- Tap Exchange, select the item that's being exchanged, and then tap Next. Returned items are added to the inventory of the assigned location for your POS device.
- From the available products list, select an item to exchange for the returned item.
- Update the quantity of the selected item, add more items if needed, and click Next.
- Optional: Tap the toggle to enable Mark item as unfulfilled to note that the item needs to be sent to the customer at a later date. A new order is created for the items.
- If there's a balance remaining, then tap Refund or Collect and complete the transaction. If there's no balance remaining, then tap Exchange.
- Tap Done.
Processing a refund with a Shopify POS Lite subscription
You can refund an entire order or part of an order from the Shopify POS Orders screen.
- On the home screen of the Shopify POS app, tap
- Tap Orders.
- Tap the order of the item being returned.
- Tap Return.
- Use the
-to enter the quantity of each item that you're refunding.
- Tap Next.
- Optional: If you don't want to return an item to your inventory, then tap Restock at this location, disable the restock option and tap Save.
- Optional: Tap Refund shipping to refund the cost of shipping.
- Optional: Enable Refund balance to gift card to issue a gift card to the customer for the refund amount. The gift card product needs to be published to the POS sales channel for this option to be available.
- If the customer used more than one payment method, then you can split the refund between the same payment methods that they used. Tap Edit in the Amount to Refund section and enter the amount that you want to refund to each payment method.
- Optional: Add a reason for the return.
- When you're ready to process the refund, tap Refund.
- Tap Mark as refunded.
- Optional: Provide a receipt to the customer.
- Tap Done.