Getting 3D models for products
You can hire Shopify Experts to create 3D models of products for you through the Shopify Experts Marketplace.
3D models are created using photos. To get a 3D model, you might needs to take photos of your products from multiple angles:
When taking photos of your product, follow these guidelines:
- Make sure that your product is well lit.
- Make sure that your whole product is in focus.
- If possible, don't use a cellphone camera. For large products like furniture, use a camera with a 50mm lens. For small to medium size products, use a 70mm or 100mm lens.
- Take extra photos of any unique details or textures.
- Give the photo files clear titles like
blue vase - top, or
blue vase - leftand store them in a clearly labelled folder.
To get an exact 3D model, you might need detailed measurements of your product. When providing measurements, follow these guidelines:
- Describe each dimension of your product in clear, simple terms.
- Provide the measurements in
- Include a diagram to show which dimensions the measurements correspond to.
- If you have technical drawings or CAD files associated with your product, then include those as well.
Check the quality of the model
When you receive a 3D model, you should check that you're happy with its quality.
Check the model from all angles. As you do so, consider the following questions:
- Does the model's shape match the product reference photos that you provided?
- Are all parts of the model proportional to the rest?
- If you're able to preview the model in augmented reality, then does the scale of the model look correct compared to the rest of the scene?
- Does the model look like it's made from the same materials as the product?
- Do the model's materials look stretched, blurry, or distorted?
- Are there details like scuffs or scratches to make the model's materials seem more realistic?
- If parts of the product are transparent, reflective, or give off light, then do they look right?
- Do the edges all look realistic? Are any of them too sharp and need to be softened?
- If there are any decorative details like a logo or text, then are they easy to see?
- Are there any gaps or holes where there shouldn't be any?
To learn more about 3D model standards so that you can better review a model, see Creating 3D models for merchants.
If you think that the quality of the model isn't good enough, then contact the the Shopify partner who created the model and explain what is wrong with it.