Create wholesale customers
Customers who have at least one price list assign to them are wholesale customers. You can create wholesale orders for these customers in the Shopify admin. You can also invite these customers to create wholesale store accounts that allow them to sign into your wholesale store and create their own orders.
Your wholesale store is password-protected, so no one (including the Shopify account owner) can access it without a wholesale store account. A wholesale store account is different from an online store account. A customer can't log into the wholesale store using their online store user name and password. A customer can have both an online store account and a wholesale store account.
Creating a wholesale store account is a two-step process that requires you to assign a customer to a price list, and then invite the customer to sign into the wholesale store. If you assign a customer to a price list, but you do not invite them to your wholesale store, then this customer must contact you to create an order.
Before you begin
You must have:
- a wholesale price list that has a tag associated with it
- a customer. This customer should have an email address associated with their account. You will send an account invite to this email address. Later, when you process orders for this customer, you can use this email address to send them invoices.
Step 1: Assign customers to a price list
- From your Shopify admin, click Customers.
- Click the name of the customer that you want to invite to your wholesale store.
- On the customer information page, choose the tag that you associated with one of your wholesale price lists:
- When you're done, click Save.
If your customer needs to sign into your wholesale store, then they need a wholesale store account. Go to the next step to invite them to create an account. If your customer has a wholesale store account, then they now have access to this price list when they sign into your wholesale store.
If your customers don't need to sign into your wholesale store, then skip the next step. You can now create wholesale orders for your customer, which use this price list.
Step 2: Invite customers to your wholesale store
This step creates a wholesale store account for your customer, so that they can sign into your wholesale store and submit orders.
- From your Shopify admin, click Wholesale.
- Click Accounts.
- Click the checkbox beside the name of the customer that you want to invite.
- From the Bulk actions drop-down menu, select Send invite:
- On the Send invitation dialog, click Send.
After you invite a customer, their status is changed to Invited and they appear under the Invited tab on the Accounts page. After your customers accept your invitation, their status is changed to Active and they appear under the Active tab on the Accounts page.