Adding and updating products
You can add or update information about a product such as its price, variants, and availability from the Products page in your Shopify admin.
If you want to save specialized information or files for your products, then you can add custom fields to your product pages by using metafields. If you have an Online Store 2.0 theme, then you can add references to your product Metafields through the theme editor.
On this page
Add a new product
Duplicate a product
To save time when you add a new product, you can duplicate a similar product. If you want to add options to an existing product, such as color or size, then add a variant to the product instead of duplicating the product.
When you choose to duplicate an existing product, you have the option to make the following adjustments before creating the duplicate: * Set a new title. * Set the product status to active or draft. * Select which other product details to duplicate from a specific set of options.
All other product details except 3D models and videos are automatically copied from the original to the duplicate.
From your Shopify admin, go to Products.
Click the name of the product that you want to duplicate.
Enter a title for the duplicate product.
Optional: Select which product details to duplicate.
Optional: Set the product status to active to publish the product on all sales channels, or keep the product status as draft.
Click Duplicate product.
Edit a product
After you've created products, you can edit them to change their descriptions, prices, and any other product details.
Although you can change your product details at any time, the changes can affect your reports. For information on how the changes can affect your reports, view Changes to product details.
Saved changes take effect immediately in your online store. Before you update a product, you can check the top of the page to check if another staff might also be making changes to the same product.
Including and excluding products from your sales channels
You can control where you are selling a product by including it in your active sales channels. If you decide to exclude a product from a particular sales channel, then it will be hidden from that channel. You might hide a product from a sales channel for a variety of reasons:
- You have seasonal products that you want to display for only part of the year.
- A product is out of stock but you will have more in stock at a later date.
- You don't want to sell a product, but you might offer it again later.
- You want to offer online exclusive, or in-store exclusive products.
- You don't want to sell a product using a particular sales channel.
To view or change a product's publishing settings:
From your Shopify admin, go to Products.
Click the product's name to open its details. The product is included in the sales channels listed in the Publishing section.
Click ⋮ > Manage sales channels.
Select the sales channels and apps that you want to include the product in.
Add or remove tags
Tags are searchable keywords associated with your product. Tags can help customers find your product through your online store search, and you can also use them to create automated collections.
You can apply up to 250 tags to each product.
For more information about tags, see Tag formats.
To add a tag:
To remove tags from a product:
Edit a search engine listing
You can edit the way that a product displays in search results on the product's details page:
- In the Search engine listing section, click Edit.
- In the Page title field, enter a descriptive title. This title will display as a link in search engine results. You can enter up to 70 characters in the title.
- Enter a Meta description for the search engine listing. Make sure to include relevant keywords for your product to help new customers find your link. You might also want to include your business name. You can enter up to 320 characters in the description.
- In the URL and handle section, you can edit the web address. In most cases, you won't need to make changes to the web address. If you do make changes, then make sure that you set up URL redirects from the old web address. The URL can't contain any spaces. Handles are used in theme design.
- Click Save.
Scan a barcode with your device's camera
You can use the Shopify app to enter a barcode for a product by scanning it with your mobile device's camera.
To scan a barcode with your device's camera:
Archive a product
If you no longer want to display a product in your online store, but you don’t want to permanently delete the product, then you can archive the product instead. You can archive a single product, or archive multiple products at the same time using a bulk action. If you archive a product, then the product is moved to the Archived tab of the Products page.
To archive a product:
If you want to locate an archived product in your Shopify admin, then click Products and select the Archived tab. To unarchive a product, click the product in the Archived tab, and then click Unarchive product.
Delete a product
You can delete a single product, or delete multiple products at the same time using a bulk action. When you delete a product, it's permanently removed from Shopify. Deleted products can't be restored. If you run out of stock or no longer want to display a product for any reason, but don’t want to permanently delete it from your store, then you can archive the product instead.
To permanently delete a product: