To print barcodes for use in your retail store, you'll need a barcode printer and associated software. The only barcode printer that Shopify supports is the Dymo LabelWriter 450.
Supported barcode labels
To print barcode labels with the Dymo LabelWriter 450, you need to use Dymo brand labels in one of the following sizes:
- Small (1" x 1"), maximum of 6-8 digits
- Medium (1" x 2 1/8"), maximum of 22 digits
- Large (1 1/8" x 2 1/8"), maximum of 40 digits
- Butterfly/Barbell (3/8" x 3/4"), maximum of 8 digits (not available in the United Kingdom)
You might need to use fewer characters if you use letters or symbols because some of them take up more space than numbers.
Create barcodes for your products
You can create barcodes for your products using either or both of the following methods:
- use the Retail Barcode Labels app to create barcodes for all of your products
- create barcodes for specific products.
Create barcodes for specific products
You can create a barcode for specific products in the following ways:
- by entering a barcode when you first add a product or variant
- by uploading barcodes in bulk as part of a product CSV file
- by using the Retail Barcode Labels app to create barcodes for a specifc product
You can decide how you want to print your barcode labels:
- Print barcode labels with the Retail Barcode Labels app
- Print barcode labels with the Dymo Label software
Troubleshooting the barcode printer
If you're having trouble printing barcode labels, then try these steps:
- Are you using the Dymo LabelWriter 450 label printer? This is the only barcode label printer that Shopify supports.
- Is the printer properly connected? Make sure that its connected to both a power outlet and the USB port of the computer that you're printing from.
- Do you have an internet connection? You can't print labels for your products unless your computer can connect to Shopify.
- Are you using supported barcode labels? Your labels won't print correctly unless you're using supported barcode labels and you select the correct label size in your barcode template.
- Do all the products and variants that you're printing labels for have barcode numbers assigned to them? If there are any products without a barcode number, then create one for them before printing their labels.
- Is the printer paused? Check the status of your label printer, and make sure that it's not paused and there are no printing jobs in its queue.
- Is the printer printing blank labels? You might need to clean your printer. You can find instructions for cleaning your printer in the manufacturer's user manual.