To print barcodes for use in your retail store, you'll need a barcode printer and associated software.
After you've completed the following barcode printing setup, you can print simple barcodes using the free Barcode Printer app, or you can print fully-customized barcodes using the Dymo Label software.
Barcode printing setup
Install the Dymo Label software:
Don't connect the printer to your computer until the installer prompts you at the last step of the installation. To connect your printer, follow the quick start guide for the LabelWriter 450 on the Dymo website.
Supported barcode labels
To print barcode labels with the Dymo LabelWriter 450, you need to use Dymo brand labels in one of the following sizes:
- Small (1" x 1"), maximum of 8 digits
- Medium (1" x 2 1/8"), maximum of 22 digits
- Large (1 1/8" x 2 1/8"), maximum of 40 digits
- Butterfly/Barbell (3/8" / 3/4"), maximum of 8 digits
You might need to use fewer characters if you use letters or symbols because some of them take up more space than numbers.
Assign barcodes to your products
You can assign barcodes to your products using either or both of the following methods:
Assign barcodes automatically
Use the Barcode Printer app to automate the creation of unique barcodes for your products:
From your Shopify admin, click Apps (or press
Click the icon for the Barcode Printer app.
After the app opens, click Assign barcodes:
Choose one of the following:
- Assign barcodes only to products without barcodes. This generates barcodes for any of your products that don't already have barcodes.
- Overwrite all existing barcodes. This assigns new barcodes to all the products in your catalog (you can't undo this action).
Click Assign barcodes:
Assign barcodes manually
You can assign barcodes manually in a number of ways:
- by entering a barcode when you first add a product or variant
- by uploading barcodes in bulk as part of a product CSV file
- by editing an existing variant to add or change the barcode.
Editing a variant to add or change a barcode
To add or change a barcode by editing an existing variant:
From your Shopify admin, click Products (or press
Click the name of a product:
In the Variants section, click Edit for a variant:
Add or edit the barcode for the product variant:
Next steps: print barcodes
After you've completed the barcode printing setup, you can decide how you want to print your barcode labels:
Troubleshooting the barcode printer
- Are you using the the Dymo LabelWriter 450 label printer? This is the only barcode label printer that Shopify supports.
- Is the printer properly connected? Make sure that its connected to both a power outlet and the USB port of the computer that you're printing from.
- Do you have an internet connection? You can't print labels for your producst unless your computer can connect to Shopify.
- Have you completed the barcode printing setup?
- Are you using supported barcode labels? Your labels won't print correctly unless you're using supported barcode labels and you select the correct label size in your barcode template.
- Do all the products and variants that you're printing labels for have barcode numbers assigned to them? If there are any products without a barcode number, then assign one to them before printing their labels.
- Is the printer paused? Check the status of your label printer, and make sure that it's not paused and there are no printing jobs in its queue.
- Is the printer printing blank labels? You might need to clean your printer. You can find instructions for cleaning your printer in the manufacturer's user manual.
- Try uninstalling the Barcode Printer app and Dymo Label software, clearing your browser's cache, and then completing the barcode printing setup again.