Selling a gift card on Shopify POS
You can activate the gift card feature on your store. Gift cards will be added to your product list automatically, and you can then sell them in person using Shopify POS.
On this page
Choose a gift card format
With Shopify POS, you can sell gift cards in any of these formats:
- A digital gift card that you email to the customer.
- A paper copy of a digital gift card that you print from your receipt printer.
- A physical gift card with a pre-assigned code.
If you're selling physical gift cards with pre-existing codes on them, then you need to activate issuing physical gift cards.
Learn about the requirements for using gift cards in Shopify POS.
Sell a gift card with a pre-set or custom amount
There are multiple ways to add a gift card to the cart:
- From a tile on the smart grid of the Shopify POS app.
- By searching for the gift card product using the POS search bar.
- By tapping More actions > Add gift card.
- By tapping Products, and choosing the gift card product. This method will not give you the option to set a custom amount for the gift card.
- From one of the methods listed above, tap the gift card product.
- If applicable, choose Digital gift card or Physical gift card.
- Do either of the following:
- Choose a pre-set value for the gift card.
- Tap Custom gift card. Enter the custom value of the gift card, and tap Next.
- If you're selling a physical gift card, then activate the gift card using one of the following options:
- Scan the card with the front-facing camera on your iPad.
- Use our supported 2D barcode scanner to scan the card's barcode. The 1D scanner won't work.
- Enter the gift card's number manually by tapping Enter code.
- Tap Add.
- The gift card product is added to the cart. Tap Checkout to continue to checkout.
- Select the customer's payment method, and then complete the transaction.
- Optional: On the post-checkout screen, provide the customer with a receipt.
The printed or emailed receipt for the gift card shows the following information:
- The name of your store.
- The monetary value of the card.
- The validation code.
- A two-dimensional barcode.
Refund the purchase of a gift card on Shopify POS
You can refund the purchase of a gift card from Shopify POS, but you need to disable the card before you make the refund:
- From your Shopify POS Orders screen, tap the order that has the gift card that you want to refund.
- Tap the gift card number.
- Tap Disable gift card, and then tap Confirm.
- On the order details screen, tap Return.
- Use the
-buttons beside each product in the order to enter the quantity that you're refunding.
- Tap Refund.
- When the refund is successful, tap Done.