Redeeming a gift card on Shopify POS
This page was printed on May 28, 2023. For the current version, visit https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/sell-in-person/shopify-pos/payment-management/gift-cards/redeem-gift-cards.
If your store sells gift cards, then you can accept them as payment with Shopify POS. You can redeem a customer's gift card whether it was bought online or in person.
Redeem a gift card with Shopify POS
To redeem a gift card with Shopify POS:
- Add products to the Shopify POS cart in the usual way, then tap Checkout.
- Tap Gift card (if you don't see the Gift card option, then enable it from the Payments settings screen).
- Enter the gift card number using one of the following options:
- Enter the code that the customer gives you.
- Use our supported 2D barcode scanner to scan the barcode (the 2D scanner is the only supported scanner that can read a gift card's QR barcode).
- Use the front-facing camera on your iPad.
- Tap Redeem.
- If there's a remaining balance that the customer needs to pay, then tap of the following options:
- Tap Add payment to add another payment method.
- Tap Mark as partial to mark the order as partially paid and take additional payment at a later date.
- Optional: On the post-checkout screen, provide the customer with a receipt.
- Tap Done to return to the products screen.
The receipt shows the last 4 digits of the gift card used in payment, along with the remaining balance on the card.
See the balance of a gift card with Shopify POS
From Shopify POS, you can see the remaining balance of a gift card from the order in which the gift card was sold.
To see the remaining balance on a gift card scan the card with the front-facing camera on your iPad.