Selling online gift cards
If a customer purchases a gift card from your store, then an online gift card is emailed to the customer, which contains the following:
- the gift card code, used at checkout to redeem the value of the gift card when purchasing a product from your store at a later time
- a print button, for obtaining a paper copy of the gift card
- a start shopping button, for quickly navigating back to your store.
If a customer wants to buy a gift card for a third party, they must forward the gift card email to the gift card recipient.
How gift cards work on Shopify
A gift card is a special type of product, and you can make it available to your customers in two ways:
- by issuing it as a gift, reward, or incentive
- by selling it as you would any other product.
Issuing gift credit-cards
When you issue a gift card, you generate it on an individual basis and it's mailed to the customer you specify.
Selling gift cards
When you offer a gift card for sale, your customer can purchase it the same way that they purchase any other product from your store.
After the order is marked fulfilled, the customer is sent a personalized email notification containing a unique URL that they must visit to view their gift card.
Activate the gift card feature
Before you can sell gift cards, you must activate the gift card feature:
From your Shopify admin, click Products, then click Gift Cards (or press
Click Start selling gift cards on my store (you need to be on the Shopify plan or higher):
Your first gift card will be created right away, but it is hidden from sales channels by default. Click Edit product to review the details and set the visibility preferences for sales channels. Click Manage gift card products to view a full list of your gift card products.