Walkthrough of the Shopify Partner Program
Welcome to the Shopify Partner Program!
This document will provide you with information about the Shopify Partner Program and allow you to work with a world-class product that provides your clients with customized commerce solutions. With over 1,000,000 merchants using the Shopify platform, there are endless opportunities for you to grow your business with Shopify. It contains a checklist of what to do to get started as a Shopify Partner. From learning about Shopify, to accessing the tools and resources available to you, this document contains valuable information that will help you understand the platform and get set up for success.
Step 1: Learn about the program
The Shopify Partner program is a diverse group of designers, developers, marketers, and affiliates who use the Shopify platform to build ecommerce websites, themes, and apps. As a Shopify Partner, you have access to various perks and support to help you grow your business. Review the benefits of the Shopify Partner program to take full advantage of what is available to you.
It is also important to understand the expectations of you as a Shopify Partner. Our Shopify Partner Program Agreement contains valuable information about what being a Shopify Partner requires.
Step 2: Find out how to earn revenue
There are several different ways that you can earn revenue through Shopify's Partner Program. You can earn by building Shopify stores for merchants, selling apps, and selling themes. You can also earn revenue through Shopify's Affiliate Program. After you’ve applied to the Affiliate Program and are approved, you can earn by referring customers to Shopify using your unique affiliate link. You’ll be paid an affiliate referral commission for every customer who subscribes to a Shopify paid plan through your link.
How you earn revenue depends on what you build, how you refer clients, and what kind of merchant you refer to Shopify. Be sure to review how to earn revenue as a Shopify Partner for a breakdown of the various ways revenue is earned, calculated, and paid out.
Step 3: Join the community
The Shopify Partner Program has an active and supportive community for you to get involved with. This community is a great place to learn from partners at all stages of business growth, get technical advice and help, and discuss the latest trends in ecommerce with peers from around the world.
The Shopify Community forum is an online forum where other Shopify Partners are always willing to jump in and lend a hand. It's a great channel to meet more professionals in your industry, learn from your peers, and connect directly with members of the Shopify Partners team.
You can connect to other Shopify Partners through these channels:
- Shopify Community forums
- The Web Design and Development Blog
- Shopify Partners Twitter
- Shopify Partners Instagram
- Shopify Partners YouTube channel
- Offline events like Shopify Meetups, Unite, and Pursuit
Step 4: Add Shopify Partner branding to your website
Now that you are a Shopify Partner, you can let your clients know. Add Shopify branding to your website to show off your affiliation and build credibility and trust with potential clients.
Step 5: Access the benefits of being a Shopify Partner
Being a Shopify Partner gives you access to all kinds of benefits to help your business grow and help you find success. Below is a roundup of just some of the resources you can now use.
A development store is a free Shopify account that comes with all the features of our advanced plan and some features of our Shopify Plus plan (complete with unlimited trial periods). You can use a development store as a testing ground for apps or themes you’re working on, or to set up a store for a client.
Visit our docs page to learn more about using development stores.
Collaborator accounts allow you to access the parts of a merchant’s store that you’re working on, without impacting a merchant’s staff limit. Collaborator accounts allow you to tweak only the parts of a store that you need, without having to get access to the whole store.
Learn more about collaborator accounts and accessing your clients’ existing stores.
Shopify Partner Academy
Shopify Partner Academy is an online training and certification program offered exclusively to Shopify Partners. With self-study courses and exams for testing your technical and business savvy, Shopify Partner Academy will help you develop your proficiency for working with Shopify and highlight opportunities to diversify your business offering.
Here are some courses to get you started:
- Shopify Partner Program Fundamentals: Explore the various opportunities and perks available to partners, and learn how you can maximize your development with the Shopify Partner Program. Identify how to leverage your skills and experience to grow your business as a Shopify Partner.
- Shopify Fundamentals: From storefronts to analytics, become familiar with Shopify’s core features and functionality. Learn how the platform’s benefits set Shopify apart and uncover the vast support network available to partners and merchants.
- Design and Theming Fundamentals: Build striking commerce experiences by leveraging Shopify’s front-end development tools and frameworks. Learn the basic of installing, customizing, and developing themes as you familiarize yourself with Liquid, theming APIs, and the Slate framework.
Log into your Partner Dashboard to browse the courses and exams.
Being a Shopify Partner also gets you access to exclusive deals and discounts on software you use every day. From finance to customer relationship management, this wide range of tools will help you save time and money, and help take your businesses to the next level.
Log into your Partner Dashboard to view the perks available to Shopify Partners.
Get help when you need it
If you ever feel stuck on your journey as a Shopify Partner, then help is never too far away. There are a few different ways to ask questions and get answers:
- The Shopify Help Center can answer most questions: just type your issue in the search bar and find resources to help you with everything from technical issues to navigating your dashboard. There are documents to help you learn about Shopify, build a theme, or get started with Shopify’s APIs.
- As a Shopify Partner, you have access to 24/7 priority support within your Partner Dashboard. With priority partner support, you can quickly resolve questions that you or your clients might have.
- You can ask your question in the Shopify Community forums, and get help and direction from other Shopify Partners on the same journey as you.
Step 6: Update your portfolio
Building trust with potential clients also means demonstrating to them the kind of work you can do. As a Shopify Partner, it is really valuable to have an up-to-date, exemplary portfolio to share with clients. Your portfolio should contain your very best work, and should represent the quality of work you will continue providing to clients.
The following resources can help you to create a standout portfolio:
- How to Build a Great Design Portfolio — Shopify Designers Weigh In
- 20 Memorable Web Design Portfolios to Inspire Your Own Website
- The Benefits of Adding a Shopify Landing Page to Your Portfolio Site (and How to Make One)
- Prove Yourself: 4 Ways to Demonstrate Your Expertise
Step 7: Get started today
The best way to get started as a Shopify Partner is to create a development store and explore what it can do. This helps you to get familiar with both how your clients use Shopify, and what you can do as a Shopify Partner.
You can create a development store directly from your Partner Dashboard. To learn how, refer to Creating development stores.